Each year, thousands of homes and businesses are impacted by power outages caused by stray Mylar (metallic) and oversized balloons. When Mylar balloons come in contact with power lines, they can cause power lines to burn and fall to the ground—posing a significant threat to public safety.
LADWP offers the following tips when enjoying metallic balloon:
- Always attach a weight to metallic balloons.
- Never release metallic or latex balloons outdoors. They can become tangled in power lines when released or when they fall back to the ground.
- Keep metallic balloons away from power lines.
- Never use metallic ribbon with metallic balloons.
- Always deflate metallic balloons and dispose of them properly when no longer in use.
Customers should call 1-800-DIAL DWP to report balloons in power lines.